Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Evolution of Siblings

I am the oldest of the three Sainson kids. My younger brothers have been like my kids at times. I definitely spent a lot of time taking care of them as we were growing up in a divorced home. Chad is only 16 months younger than me, while Trun is 4 years my junior. Growing up, we spent hours playing with our mutual friends and roaming the streets of our hometown. We played years of Little League together. We also shared a love of music: Chad sang with me on the high school choir while he and Trun later formed a rock band. Needless to say we were very close and very much alike.

Immediately after high school (1996) I moved away to Delaware and got married a couple years later (1999), so we lost touch. We saw each other randomly over the years, but not enough to remain close. In the summer of 2006, I left my husband and retreated to Florida where my mom and brothers were living. We were practically strangers at this point. They had no idea what I had been dealing with in my marriage. I had no clue what was going on in their lives either. We spent that summer getting to know one another again. We had our portraits done. We watched several great boxing matches. We had family dinners with mom. They introduced me to "The Dave Chappelle Show". We spent hours talking about our lives and beliefs, arguing like only Sainsons can. It was an awesome reunion.
Since then we have spent a lot more time together, though they went on a tour of America while I moved back to New Jersey. Within a year, Chad came and lived with me. For four months we shared some of the highest highs and lowest lows. We struggled together and we laughed together. But that came to an end when he decided to move to California with Trun. Then they traveled some more , visiting me in NJ, and eventually landed in Chicago with our dad. I went to visit them twice. We all flew to Florida for Memorial Day weekend. We also took a road trip for Thanksgiving to NC and Atlanta for a week. Now Trun is off traveling the world with his girlfriend and Chad is headed back to Florida. He and I spent the last few days together at my place in Delaware watching sports and having more laughs, which prompted me to write this.

I couldn't even begin to recount the stories of our adventures together over the last 3+ years. All I can say is that we laugh until there is no noise coming from our mouths and tears are streaming down my face. We argue til everyone's feelings are hurt. Yet we support and look out for each other to no end. I am so glad that I am not an only child. I can't imagine not having them in my life. Our parents may not have been able to stay together, but there is nothing that could keep us apart. I eagerly await the day we start reproducing mini versions of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment