Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Woes

So today is Election Day in America. I am 32 years old and have never voted. Ever. Apparently I am the reason that Bush won a second term. If I had only voted, we would not have had to endure his idiocracy. Yeah I made that up.

I'm feeling kind of ehh about not voting now. I've registered before. But the one time I actually was going to vote (2000), I got caught up playing mommy and wife and didn't make it in time. Needless to say, it was never a priority. I've tried to figure out why that is and this is what I think: When I was a kid, my dad and uncle would discuss politics and get into these heated discussions, almost arguments. It used to scare me anytime I heard my dad raise his voice, so I always equated politics with being a bad thing. As a result, I never took the time to do the research I think is necessary to make a good choice. So, on one hand I had bad feelings associated with politics, and on the other, I couldn't make an educated decision if I tried.

Another issue I've had is picking a party. When I did register, it was as an Independent. That was only because I couldn't decide whether I was a donkey or elephant. Apparently Independent is another party all in itself. Why must I pick a party???? Can't I just register and vote however I want?? I grew up in a lower-middle class family, so I agree with a lot of Democratic views. I also became spiritually invested as an adult so I agree with some of the Republican views as well. There seems to be no party that is fully aligned with my beliefs and experience (maybe there is, I really don't know).

Knowing that I would have to thoroughly educate myself before making a decision on who to vote for, I became overwhelmed at the notion. Taking into consideration that all politicians lie and smear their opponents, it just seemed easier to throw my hands up and leave this daunting task to the masses. It is disheartening, however, to know there are folk who voted today strictly Dem or strictly Rep just because it's what they were told to do by their momma or pastor. And how many people voted based on how they want the country to be run and not what would be best for all who live here?

Finally, I get tired of hearing about how many people died for my right to vote. That argument is usually targeted at African Americans, but I know women had to fight for that right as well. And Americans as a whole fought for the right to vote when they won their independence from the British monarchy. I get it. Being a citizen means you get to vote. But I think it also means you have a choice not to vote. If I don't agree with any of the candidates, why would I choose to help elect them? Or should I pick the lesser of two evils just because I have the right? I would think that by electing anyone that I don't think will do a good job makes me just as bad as them. It also encourages them to keep doing what they are, or are not, doing once in office.

Imagine if Americans refused to vote until an honest and legit candidate was put on the ballot....Of course that would never happen. So I will carry on with my non-voting ways and feel good about myself for not adding to the embarrassment that is our government.

No comments:

Post a Comment